Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
duoduo_tianhai
Style_council
duoduo_tianhai

I don’t know if it’s the season for fur yet, but I have to do a persuasive presentation and I chose the topic to be a about fur, because I love fashion and this seams to be the only way I can link fashion in.
I have to convince people to believe that real fur is better than faux fur. I know that there are many horrible things people do to animals to get their fur, but still. That’s why it’s called a persuasive presentation. I have to persuade people to believe in something that most of the people disagree. Any thoughts? Are there any good things you love about real fur? Thank you so much.

posted over 8 years ago
kia
Style_council
kia

I can’t think of any benefits to wearing real fur… but then again, I don’t even like faux fur, its so not my style. Perhaps you could say the animal is already dead and it would be wasteful to throw away the fur (if its vintage)? I am not sure….good luck with your argument!

posted over 8 years ago

The_Perfect_Jeans
Style_council
The_Perfect_...

Hey! I hope I don’t know how much help I can be but I’ll try! =) I love speeches, especially persuasive one’s, so maybe I can help you come up with a good argument.

As for the fashion side, I usually say only faux fur.. I know that doesn’t help you much, but I always wonder “why kill an animal for the sake of it’s fur?” I do own one piece of real fur—a fur cape—and that was purchased vintage, so I kind of justified it. Plus it looked perfect with my wedding dress!

As for your arguments, you could argue that using the fur of animals that are already going to be slaughtered for their meat is being responsible. Just as it isn’t considered right to kill just for fur, why is it ok to just kill for one other reason. Maybe using all of the animal will make it’s death more justified?

Also, in some regions the animal’s whose fur is used are over-populated and if they aren’t removed by people (and then used by people) then disease will take them eventually.

Another argument could be that faux fur uses pesticides and herbacides to grow, which ultimately harms wildlife and our eco-system. And you could point out the job market that real fur creates (although that’s a weak argument since faux fur does, too)

Anyhow, hope that stimulates some thoughts. Honestly, I don’t agree with using real fur, but I like coming up with persuasive arguments! I could come up with a lot more against it, but hope that helps!

posted over 8 years ago

kat_mauvais
Style_council
kat_mauvais

The poster above me made some great points. I personally don’t like either just because I can’t pull that look off and it still seems “conceited” to me for someone to wear fur of any kind. It’s not a matter of me being an animal rights crazed individual (I’m not), but simply that I don’t find the texture very flattering.

But animal prints? Whole different story…

http://zanniplainjanefashion.blogspot.com

posted over 8 years ago

invigorate
Style_council
invigorate

I really like faux fur, I like the texture and the way it looks. Where I live, pea coats are never really warm enough and I don’t like puffer jackets, so the faux fur looks fashionable and elegant.

However as a vegan, I’m ethically against real fur!

posted over 8 years ago

SilviaTirado
Style_council
SilviaTirado

fur is cool, fake of course, real wy too expensive and messed up!

posted over 8 years ago

MargDz
Style_council
MargDz

I’m also a vegan and very against animal furs and skins being used in fashion, but I guess a potential argument could be that the quality of real fur is nicer than faux fur

posted over 8 years ago

RayC
Style_council
RayC

That’s a great topic for your persuasive presentation but at the same time, it’s very challenging because most of the population would buy faux fur. The best thing to do is to wear neither because it takes a lot of energy to preserve both materials.

However, you could argue that some faux furs look extremely fake and could shed a lot. Since the fibers of faux fur are synthetic and are made up of various chemicals, it isn’t that great for the environment.

Also, if you wear faux fur in certain types of weather, it can look matted down and soggy since it doesn’t naturally repel moisture. Some faux furs never regain their original shape and suppleness once this happens.

You could also argue that real fur is one of a kind and comes in limited quantities, therefore, it will have more value and will last much longer than the faux fur varieties. They become heirloom pieces that can be passed down from generation to generation.

posted about 8 years ago

thegreatbernsby
Style_council
thegreatbernsby

Are you trying to persuade people to wear real fur or to buy it? I think there’s a strong distinction. For example, I would never buy a new real fur piece because putting money into that market drives the demand and continues the cycle of animal explotation. I do, however, have a great fur that my great-grandma bought that has been passed down through all the women in my family – there’s a huge sentimental factor. Keeping this piece and wearing it occasionally DOES still condone the fur industry, but I think most of us are flexible with the stances we take and what we make exceptions for.

posted about 8 years ago

NotSoFrenchFries
New_user NotSoFrenchFries is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When NotSoFrenchFries reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
NotSoFrenchF...

To be honest, I love REAL fur. I have a fur hat I got it from my granny, it would be a waste if I would put it away.

posted about 8 years ago

blueviolet725
Style_council
blueviolet725

ok. I work for a handbag company that is animal friendly…http://www.shopicl.com but for the sake of arguement (and to help)
One:
I volunteer at the spca. there is such an overabundance of unwanted animals from the lack of spaying and neutering that killing off this overpopulation will reduce sickness and spread of disease (why you want that on your body then, is another topic)
Two: with the overpopulation of deer in places like westchester ny where there is no possibility of hunting by the public, a thinning of the herd is necessary for the rest of the animals to not starve to death in a slow and painful manner this winter. This would allow for the meat to be used to feed the hungry and the skin to be used to make suede and leather clothing.
ok. that is all I can stretch my brain today.

posted about 8 years ago

sugarbabiez
New_user sugarbabiez is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When sugarbabiez reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
sugarbabiez

I think real fur is okay when the animal is already being killed to be eaten. So if you’re going to kill the animal for food, then might as not well waste the fur right? BUT I think faux fur is better if it’s to imitate an animals’ print that’s just being killed for the fur, if that makes sense.

posted about 8 years ago

sugarbabiez
New_user sugarbabiez is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When sugarbabiez reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
sugarbabiez

I think real fur is okay when the animal is already being killed to be eaten. So if you’re going to kill the animal for food, then might as not well waste the fur right? BUT I think faux fur is better if it’s to imitate an animals’ print that’s just being killed for the fur, if that makes sense.

posted about 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password