Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
leeeeenda
Style_council
leeeeenda

I have all sorts of “black” things, but wondered how I can be appropriately solemn and still be stylish. My best so far is a black suit but with an off-white blouse. There is a party/wake afterwards. I don’t want to look like an Italian woman in mourning, but I don’t want to appear too over-dressed. Also, the weather is VERY cold.
Catholic Mass followed by fairly wild party.

posted over 8 years ago
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

Your suggestion is fine. A suit or a simple fitted style dress with a smart classic style coat or blazer are, in my opinion, the best choice of outfit for a funeral. You want to look smart but not too dressed up. Also, comfortable shoes! I can’t stress that point enough, there’s a lot of standing up singing hymms at catholic funerals (from my esperience) and generally a lot of standing.

posted over 8 years ago

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

I think your idea would work. I think modesty is also very important so the off white top should not be low cut.

posted over 8 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

HAHA boy oh boy do I know about Catholic (and Irish) funerals! My funeral outfit is always a black boatneck fifties style dress with tights and heels, but I think your sounds great as well. The off white shirt keeps things from looking too black. I’m a dress girl though, so I’m going to advocate a simple dress.

posted over 8 years ago

jasminesandrea
New_user jasminesandrea is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When jasminesandrea reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jasminesandrea

Your outfit sounds very low-key which is appropriate for a funeral, but far from matronly. It should transition easily from funeral to party. I’d like to experience that kind of funeral someday. Sounds interesting.

posted over 6 years ago

leeeeenda
Style_council
leeeeenda

Since this February comment – I’ve unfortunately had to attend 3 more funerals… one was my mother’s. I picked a suit, black satin 3/4 length sleeves, covered buttons, lapel, with tiny pinpoint white dots. The skirt was sheer. I thought it was proper and not like people in black dress, black coat, black shoes.. The next day, at the gravesite – I wore a beige Ann Taylor suit with black round neck T – flat patent leather black shoes. My friend told me. “You can’t keep wearing the same things to funeral after funeral” Next was black skirt, silk blouse with tan oval-non geometric circles, but after party was “bring your Juicy’s and UGGs” Third funeral – I don’t remember it was so upsetting – I have no clue what I wore since it was a blur. Interesting topic but, a fact of life. Someone asked my ex-husband “who is that fashion model?” He said “My ex wife” ;-) 4" peep toe black patent heels helped me feel that little touch of “pop” – it is a celebration of life as well as the pain of losing a loved one. Honestly, one girl wore pedal pushers and flip flops. _

posted over 6 years ago

jasminesandrea
New_user jasminesandrea is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When jasminesandrea reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jasminesandrea

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve experienced so many family members dying, especially your mother. My prayers go out to you.

posted over 6 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password