Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Myaker
Style_council
Myaker

Like if you said a person was fat, does that include or exclude chubby? How do you determine if a person is fat? Im just curious.

posted about 9 years ago
1 2
WyeChin
Style_council
WyeChin

Haha! Sorry coldlight, I should have been more specific! I meant if I were bigger than an AUS8 I would consider MYSELF fat. :p
You’re definitely not fat at all! And yea, I have tall friends that aren’t fat who wear big sizes too. :)
Almost all of my friends are super slim though, so I always feel like the fat one! That’s where my expectations of myself formed I guess. Try living in Asia where all the girls are super thin. Haha!

posted almost 9 years ago

myblueberrymind
Style_council
myblueberrymind

fat = unhealthy
and chubby definitely is something different. I know lots of girls who weight a little more but they are simply gorgeous!
Once you accept your weight and learn to feel beautiful in your own skin, nothing else matters. Having a nice fashion sense and dressing properly to suit your body type is also very importat.
I hardly ever use the term ‘fat’ when describing someone. And it’s EXTREMLY annoying when a girl who isn’t fat at all calls herself that.

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

haha oh ok glad you cleared that up wyechin! :P i was thinking that’s what you meant! but seriously you shouldn’t be worrying so much about it, i bet that most people would not care still think you’re gorgeous even if you were a few sizes up!
But i know what you mean about expectations in Asia… when I went to Malaysia to visit family and I wanted to buy clothes, heaps of times I couldn’t even fit into “size large!” I was thinking “wtf i’m not large?!?” and a few of my cousins were on diets and stuff even though they were obviously like 2 sizes smaller than me already o_0

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

I only use fat as a noun. Fat in cooking, soaps, candles, fuel, etc. ..

I just describe very big people as heavy-set when I’m in a conversation of having to be description of a certain person, or acquaintainces.

Other than that, I’m not the one to judge a person’s health based on slight body thickness. I don’t tell others how to live. I have friends who may be regarded as chubsters or harshly as “fat” by ignorants, but they’re actually one of the healthiest people I’ve known since they’re the kind of people who ate well and are quite athletic. Their shortness and big boned appearance might of made people think that their overweight, which is not true.

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

fat is when you’ve got rolls and rolls of fat. chubby if they’re just kinda overweight. I never say these things to people though because its rude. I have a friend who is already skinny that keeps complaining about her legs being fat and her face being too chubby. I’m like you already have chicken legs and your face is not fat, its justyour jawline . then after she finally believed that it was her bone structure, shes like i wanna have surgery and shave down my jawline. =/

BombazineDoll
Style_council
BombazineDoll

Fat is a mean term, I agree. It’s degrading and makes people feel bad.
I’m overweight and I know it. I don’t use the term fat because I know how it can make someone feel.

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I usually avoid the term “fat”, precisely because it is so unspecific and all-around negative. For example, “overweight” and “obese” means a person has a BMI over 25 and over 30, respectively, and “plus-sized” means a person wears a size larger than US12/UK16. You can actually measure those things and they are objective; they say something specific.

“Fat,” on the other hand, can mean bigger than other people, bigger than what looks good on one’s frame, or even just bigger than a person wants to be. (For example, consider an anorexic who considers her underweight weight to be “fat” because it is still five pounds higher than her goal weight). “Fat” is very subjective, but at the same time it always means bad things. I think it’s very unhelpful to refer to others OR oneself as “fat.”

1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password