SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Myaker
Style_council
Myaker

This is pretty embarrassing, but I’m having trouble inserting my first tampon, and i though as a community of mostly women i thought you might have some advice? I’m 17, and i would normally just wear pads but i have pool parties to attend, and i don’t want to miss out by not swimming just because of my period. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

posted over 8 years ago
JuicyGina
Style_council
JuicyGina

i just used a tampon for the first time yesterday! don’t worry about it. i promise. i was really scared before but i had a beach day that i had to go in the water so i forced myself to try it. it didn’t hurt me at all. thats what scared me. but i cant tell you it wont cuz everyone is different but i would just say to try, even if it hurts keep going. :)

posted over 8 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

Usually it gets easier when you find a position that helps, and practise ofc :)
Some find it easier to squat, or lift your leg against the toilet(or some such), bending your knees while standing, or sitting at the toilet. Find a position that is comfortable.
Inserted right you should not feel any discomfort, and inserting should not be too difficult.

Also when your just starting out, some find it easier to use tampons that have an inserter with them. Also ones with a silk touch surface are easier to insert.

Hope this helps!

posted over 8 years ago

Style_council

make sure you are inserting it at an angle – pointing towards your belly button

posted over 8 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

In addition to agreeing with Miusan and 9310751’s excellent advice about aiming the tampon slightly forward and trying different positions until you find what works, I also have a kind of crazy-sounding suggestion: put personal lubricant (KY Jelly, etc) on the tampon. Especially when your flow is light, it can really help ease it in more smoothly.

You will probably get the hang of it after the first few times. But as an aside for the future (and anyone else reading this): If you find inserting tampons to be painful for more than a year after you first start using them, there’s a small possibility you have a condition called vaginismus, where your PC muscles involuntarily close up every time you try to push something past them. It’s treatable, but you would probably want to see a doctor/gyno about it. I don’t mean to scare you but it’s something I have dealt with myself and I would have liked to have known about the condition much earlier than I did.

posted over 8 years ago

Myaker
Style_council
Myaker

Thanks for all of your help! I’ll try all of your tips next month! i really appreciate all of the advice!

posted over 8 years ago

LadyAshMarie
Style_council
LadyAshMarie

I like the suggestion of lubricant! I have never been able to wear tampons (even the super thin) because my flow is too light and it ends up being really painful to even try to insert them, so I have been using pads forever!

posted about 8 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

a tampon can be very painful if it isn’t inserted far enough in. you shouldn’t be able to feel it when you stand up. try to relax before you attempt!

posted about 8 years ago

framedfrosting
Style_council
framedfrosting

A thing that really helped me was using the new U by Kotex tampons. They’re in a black box. They are so small that you hardly feel them going in or afterwards. The applicator is also plastic which makes it easier.

posted about 8 years ago

alinaceusan
Style_icon
alinaceusan

You have to be relaxed and make sure no one is stressing you. keep the doors locked and get the bathroom for yourself for a couple minutes. read the instructions, wash your hands and start inserting the tampon. You should insert it far enough so you will not be able to feel it. This happens because there’s a part of your vagina where you can’t feel it anyway. They teached us this thing at school, last year at an private “just-for-girls” OB class

posted about 8 years ago

Harumi818
Style_council
Harumi818

im pads all the way!

posted almost 8 years ago

sandmallow
Style_council
sandmallow

whatever you do, dont start out with card board ones. I made that mistake when I was 16

xoxokim
Style_council
xoxokim

I remember when I first started my period and I wore pads at first and it was summr. I didnt want to miss out on swimming with my friends so my sister showed me how to use a tampon. just sit on the toilet, legs apart, Stick the tampon in,hold the upper rim like thing and with your thumb push the lower tub up so it goes into the upper tube. push the tampon a little further up so when you sit down you cant feel it.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password